Old March 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

Default Travel Insurance

On 3/6/10 4:47 AM, in article , "Sue Mullen"
wrote:

Brian wrote:
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:02:45 -0800 (PST), STAR
wrote:

I'm thinking about obtaining travel ins independently for a cruise in
May. Are the any advantages/disadvantages? Thank you....

A disadvantage to getting the cruise line insurance is that if the
cruise line becomes bankrupt, you become an unsecured creditor.

This has really happened and was talked about on RTC.

sue

The actual insurance offered through Celebrity is underwritten by
Stonebridge Casualty. I doubt that other cruise lines are engaged in the
insurance business as principals. For N.Y.residents even the penalty waiver
is underwritten. I can't see how you can become an unsecured creditor of a
bankrupt cruise line in that situation. Still, if you aren't financially
independent or think your exposed to above average risks, I would follow
Jospeh Coulter's advice.