Old February 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Amalfi Coast region

Plan to go to the Catania region for about 6 days, first timer.

Was thinking that Sorrento seemed to be the most central, not just for
day trips to places like Positano and Ravello, but also back up to
Pompeii, maybe even Naples.

This is in the first week of April.

Sorrento seems to offer better lodging values than Positano. Obviously
not as scenic but better located (I will be arriving from Rome to Naples
by train and going back at the end to fly out of FCO).

The other idea was to spend a couple of nights on Capri.

Capri.com lists a lot of choices. Lot of small B&Bs which have maybe 3
rooms and gets raves for personal service.

Versus hotels, which still get good reviews but not the same level of
personal attention. Main good thing about the latter is that they seem
more likely to offer transfer or porterage services from Marina Grande,
whereas with the B&Bs, you would probably have to take a taxi up if
you're bringing luggage for a 2-week trip (no I don't pack light).

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?