Old February 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Default Amalfi Coast region

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:50:51 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

Versus hotels, which still get good reviews but not the same level of
personal attention. Main good thing about the latter is that they seem
more likely to offer transfer or porterage services from Marina Grande,
whereas with the B&Bs, you would probably have to take a taxi up if
you're bringing luggage for a 2-week trip (no I don't pack light).

You can take the funicular from Marina Grande up to the town and take
your luggage up on it. If you take a taxi, it will cost somewhat more,
but like the funicular, it just takes you to the start of Capri. From
there, you will have to walk to your hotel or B&B.

Sorry, I meant to also mention the following two points, but forgot:

1. Only a few of the most deluxe hotels will provide you with
transportation from Marina Grande to Capri, so unless you are planning
on paying the hotel's very high prices, you will have to provide your
own taxi or funicular service yourself.

2. I highly recommend that whether you choose a hotel or a B&B that it
be in the town of Capri, not in Anacapri, Marina Grande, or Marina
Piccola. Capri is the most central, nicest, and has the best choices
of sights to see, restaurants, stores, etc. From Capri you can get to
Anacapri and Marina Piccola by bus (or on foot if you like long
walks), but a single trip to each of them is usually sufficient.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup