Old February 14th, 2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carole Allen[_1_]

Default Amalfi Coast region

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:17:06 -0800, poldy wrote:

Plan to go to the Catania region for about 6 days, first timer.

Was thinking that Sorrento seemed to be the most central, not just for
day trips to places like Positano and Ravello, but also back up to
Pompeii, maybe even Naples.

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?

Just up the hill from Sorrento (about an easy 10 min walk from town)
is the Hotel Desiree...very nice, on the cliff, views of the water.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Tripadvisor still shows
positive reviews since my last trip there.

Don't miss the outdoor vendors, on the mainland, between the main drag
and the water. Lots of lovely scarves, leather items.

Had good gelato (is there such a thing as bad gelato?) at a large
gelateria on the west side of the main drag - the grape was fabulous.

I wanted to go to the Blue Lagoon and swim (remember, Clark Gable,
etc., the movie?), but the one day I had available it was too windy
and the boats wouldn't go there.

There is a local bus you can take down the coast to Amalfi as a day
trip. I wouldn't try the drive - you'll miss all the scenery!
Sorrento is a good base for Naples, Pompeii, etc.

If you get to Naples you have GOT to go to the Chapel of SanSevero.
(via F. De Sanctis, 19/21) The "Veiled Christ" sculpture is
astounding.

http://www.museosansevero.it/index_ing.html