Old June 24th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Gunner

Default How do I avoid looking and acting American while traveling in Europe?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:41:29 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

The Reids wrote:

Following up to Gunner

one civil war, like you. Only longer ago, much longer.

Really?????

Yes, really

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/

The Bishops' Wars, 1639 and 1640
The First Civil War, 1640-1646
The Second Civil war, 1647-1649
The Third Civil War, 1649-1651
The Commonwealth, 1649-1653
Cromwells Protectorate 1654-1658
Restoration 1659-1650

I note that the dates of these 4 civil wars all run together,
does that tell you something?

Does not the war of the two kings count as a civil war? I will grant
that much of it was fought by proxy, and outside Britain. But in
essence it was a war between two claimants to the British throne.

And how about '45? Scottish war of independence or British civil war?

Excellent! Bravo!

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell