Old February 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

Default When to Buy a Ticket

In message

OccasionalFlyer was claimed to have wrote:

I'm watching prices for a flight between LAX and YVR in May. The
prices keep jumping all around. I don't know whether to wait for some
flight that has a higher rate that I want to go down to where a flight
I don't want is or to buy now because I can get flights at the lowest
rate I've seen them in three weeks. Are pieces lower or higher
usually as the date approaches for a flight? Or, is this completely
unpredictable and I should buy what I can now? Thanks.

I haven't flown that route, but assuming Westjet flies it then in
general I'd recommend Westjet over all others unless there is a
significant price gap (and that's extremely rare)

If you're looking at Westjet, what I'd suggest would be to watch daily
for the flight you want to either drop in price (a seat sale -- Watch
their marketing if you prefer, but checking the flight daily is safer),
or for the "only 'x' seats left" marker to appear at which point I'd
book it if it's an acceptable price since the price will go up once that
group of seats runs out.

All that being said, about 2-3 weeks out the prices will start going up
and you can't count on a sale (although I think I've gotten lucky more
often than not, but my schedules are fairly flexible too), so at 3 weeks
out I'd book either way if I really wanted to be there.

If the price drops more than $50 you can always call Westjet, they will
refund the entire amount minus $50 to a voucher and allow you to re-book
under the then-current price.