Old May 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Charlie Hammond

Default Hurricane Season 2004--please read

In article t,
"Skip Elliott Bowman" writes:

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, with most gales forming
mid-July through November. While this is no reason not to go or to cancel
existing plans, a prudent option would be to hedge your plans with
insurance.

[emphasis added]
THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT POLICIES AVAILABLE AND ALL ARE A LOT
CHEAPER THAN HAVING TO LOSE YOUR $$ OR YOUR VACATION.

I'm sorry to point out that this last is not correct.
Casualty insurance alwasy cost more than it pays out.
This is becasue it has to pay sales commissions and other business
expences in addition to what it pays out. Insurance companies make money.

Because of this, the general rule is NOT to insure any loss you can
afford to sustain. Well, if you can't afford the cost of your vacation,
then stay home.

Also keep in mind that you will probably NOT loose all of your vacation
money. Most resorts and airlines will (inspite of the original posters
statements) make a full or partial refund under most conditions --
certainly if a hurrican makes thier providing the contracted services
impossible.

My advice is to SAVE the money you would pay for trip insurance.
Every few years you'll have saved enough to treat yourself to a
better vacation -- maybe even a "free" one.

--
Charlie Hammond -- Hewlett-Packard Company -- Ft Lauderdale FL USA
-- remove "@not" when replying)