Old May 19th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Default Hurricane Season 2004--please read

"Charlie Hammond" wrote in message
In article t,
"Skip Elliott Bowman" writes:

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, with most gales forming
mid-July through November. While this is no reason not to go or to

cancel
existing plans, a prudent option would be to hedge your plans with
insurance.

[emphasis added]
THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT POLICIES AVAILABLE AND ALL ARE A

LOT
CHEAPER THAN HAVING TO LOSE YOUR $$ OR YOUR VACATION.

I'm sorry to point out that this last is not correct.
Casualty insurance alwasy cost more than it pays out.
This is becasue it has to pay sales commissions and other business
expences in addition to what it pays out. Insurance companies make money.

Insurance companies are businesses and I don't begrudge them their
legitimate profits. We insure property, vehicles, even lives--why not a
vacation that could cost over $10,000?

Because of this, the general rule is NOT to insure any loss you can
afford to sustain. Well, if you can't afford the cost of your vacation,
then stay home.

With all due respect, I disagree. If I understand you correctly, should
people save for twice as much as their vacation should cost? I don't think
this is a reasonable proposition for the majority.

Also keep in mind that you will probably NOT loose all of your vacation
money. Most resorts and airlines will (inspite of the original posters
statements) make a full or partial refund under most conditions --
certainly if a hurrican makes thier providing the contracted services
impossible.

This is incorrect. Airlines are not responsible for cancellations due to
inclement weather, and hurricanes qualify as inclement weather. They may
refund your money but legally they aren't obligated to do so.

My advice is to SAVE the money you would pay for trip insurance.
Every few years you'll have saved enough to treat yourself to a
better vacation -- maybe even a "free" one.

We take far too much for granted, and vacations are supposed to be memorable
not traumatic. IMHO Insuring a vacation to the tropics, especially during
hurricane season, is prudent at the very least.