Old April 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

Default Time to stop flying?

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:23:28 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
00:48:43 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mister B
remarked:
Active noise cancellation is rubbish too. I bought a set, and while they
did reduce the background "throbbing" noise from the engines slightly,
they don't have any effect on "random" noises like people talking or
announcements (the latter a particular problem on some trains, rather
than planes).

You must have bought the wrong sort, then, I have a pair that I use on
long distance flights and they add considerably to my comfort. (Some
airlines provide them, at least in Business, but not all.) As you say,
they don't cut out talking, so they are no use for work in, say, an
open-plan office,

What we concluded was that the £50 ones (like I was suckered into buying
- and a famous brand too) are rubbish, even at the background noise.

but for reducing engine noise in a plane they are excellent.

But there are more expensive ones which are better. And that we don't
all want to spend quite so much money.

With bose you get the best of both worlds. Nice simple technology and materials
like you see in a $60 pair of headphones, but a $350 price tag so you can have
that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent too much. When the
plug to cord connection goes intermittant in a year, you can feel that the $100
repair bill isn't so bad since the headphones cost $350.