Old April 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Packing for London

Following up to Jesse Dunn

I leave this Sunday, two weeks in London and Stratford-upon-Avon, my
first trip out of the country. Those of my acquaintance who have
travelled are shaking their heads over my packing list, wincing at my
two checked bags (one's really quite small, just a tote bag), clucking
their tongues at my three pairs of shoes.

if you want three pairs of shoes, bring them.

But most especially, they say,
my long, black trench coat must stay behind, it's far too bulky and heavy.

Well, it is bulky, and heavy, that's rather the point. But not bring my
London Fog to London?

You wont find any fog in London, unless you come in October or
November and even then its pretty unusual. At the moment its
April showers and spring is just breaking, the daffodils have all
come out (late), when its a clear night there's a little frost
and daytime temps are 12 -15 C. Its 9.30 am and 8C at the moment.
Of course almost anything could happen tomorrow :-)

That hardly seems right or proper. However, from a
practical standpoint, my only real counter-argument is that I might need
it; sure, it's nice enough now, but arctic cold and bitter rain might
roll in at any time, and then my light leather jacket would be pitifully
inadequate.

If its a thick winter coat its probably too much unless maybe you
are used to a florida climate? Do you have a light raincoat?
Layering is always the best way to deal with the British climate.
--
Mike Reid
London & London walks inc. Thames path