Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

Default CyberFlying???

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:59:16 -0700, DevilsPGD wrote:

You don't need to obey regulations, just the flight attendants. If
you're personally told to do something, do it. If not, don't be a moron
and you'll be fine.

Sure, you might get the odd passenger who freaks out, but you're just as
likely to have them hiding their own phone under their jacket too.

Just my luck I'd get the "freak out" pax. turning me in.

General Safety, for one... Not that cameras/camcorders would be a huge deal, but
other devices and gear (ie. laptops etc.), should not be allowed below 10,00ft, in
order to maintain emergency egress for all and the paths clear (at a time when the
probability for an emergency egress is greatest).

Indeed. This is exactly why I don't care about my phone, or other
handheld devices. Should we need to check out quickly, I can buy a new
iPhone should I happen to survive.

As long as you backed it up at home or somewhere else, no problem.

Okay, or I might keep it in my pocket and become "that asshole" but only
if it fits in my pocket. Laptop? Forget it, can be replaced... But the
phone might become useful 2 minutes after getting out of the plane.

I have no issue with things that can fit in one's pockets. In fact, it's why I always
kept my windbreaker jacket with me and stuffed down and away from view. In an
emergency egress, they may tell me I can't take my carry ons, but they can't
stop me from taking my jacket. And in there, I can put all my critical stuff (passport,
keys, blackberries, etc. etc.). Of course, if it's an egress into water, that may be
an issue for everything you carry.

I wouldn't be real happy if someone
is futzing around with their laptop (or other devices) and blocking my exit when the
"evacuate" order is given. After all, isn't that why all that carry on stuff "must fit
completely underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins," and "All
tray tables locked and seat backs returned to their full/upright position?"

Either that or just realize that the number of crashes/etc where time
matters is so tiny it basically doesn't matter. Either you die or not.

Maybe, but in the event we can egress to safety, I'd want those pathways totally
clear and free of any kind of debris.

Maybe crews are more "educated" about electronics now. But I guess I thought that
pax. would not know the difference and would want to stop even a "perceived" threat for
security reasons, or at least bitch about someone else getting away with a reg violation.

I suspect most regular travelers have accidentally left their phone on,
seen someone else leave their phone on, heard a stowed phone ring, etc
and noticed the plane didn't fall out of the sky.

Which is why those particular things may very well go unchallenged. But how often,
by comparison, does one see someone pointing a camera/camcorder out a window?
I rarely did. And God forbid one actually points the camera *inside* the cabin, and
thus, be caught spying on one's fellow pax. 8-O

Next they noticed that water and other harmless items are being
confiscated while electronics are given a pass at airport security.

Given a pass "after screening," I hope...

If electronics were even a theoretical threat like liquids are, they'd
be banned.

I think even the TSA knows that it's impossible to ban all electronics in this
"electronic age." At minimum, Fob keys for your car, cell phones/blackberries,
laptops, all must all be allowed, or the market for business travel would drop
to almost nothing... and, ultimately, they'd all be out of work. The best they can
do is screen them as best they can, and try and stay ahead of the ever improving
technology in IEDs.

Besides, many of these videos include pushback and engine starting, when
the FAs are *not* strapped in and are still checking the aisles.

That should give you an idea of how much the flight attendants care, no?

Sadly, yes.

Why sadly? They have real issues to worry about, non-safety related
rules aren't worth their effort at this point in the flight.

Say that the next time Al Qaeda gets an IED made like a camcorder or cell/blackberry
through and is able to detonate it.

Regards,

Arnold