Old February 7th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Sjoerd

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

"Michael Gallagher" schreef in bericht
On 6 Feb 2004 07:43:17 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe

I'm a little reticent to blame all the tourist troubles Europe is
having on the weak dollar. On average, people plan their vacations
about six to nine months in advance, sometimes longer. So what
Americans were thinking about Europe earlier this year may be as
important as what the exchange rate is now.

There are relatively few "tourist problems" in Europe. My friends who own a
hotel here in Amsterdam tell me that were indeed fewer Americans in 2003,
but more Italians, Spaniards, Scandinavians, French and Eastern Europeans
including many Russians. The number of Chinese visitors is also increasing
rapidly.

Sjoerd