Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Robert Kim

Default Very cheap tickets (truth or myth)?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Robert Kim" wrote in message
urdue.edu...
Hi, all. I heard that it is possible to get very low-cost airplane
tickets on the very day you want to fly. You can't call this in or
reserve a ticket online but I was told you just show up at the check-in
counter and if there is a seat available, you can get a plane ticket very
cheaply. Of course, you take the chance that there are no seats
available but if there are you win.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone done this? If so, how much of a
discount from the regular fare can you get? TIA.

There are very rare occurences of this. But for the most part turning up at
the last minute means you pay a hefty premium, rather than a reduction, I'm
afraid.

(They find it's more worthwhile selling tickets to a small amount of people
who absolutely have to get there *right now*, rather than a larger amount of
people looking for a cheap deal)

Thanks, Mark (and Joe). I was hoping for deal where it would be possible
to have some impromptu vacations out of state on weekends.

Bob