Old December 9th, 2006, 12:55 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default "Special" swimming times for Muslims in UK public swimming pools

Who the **** is this dick O'Donovan? Is he mentally ill? Listen,
sunshine, **** off and take your bigoted crap somewhere else, OK?

How is it bigoted, Mike? PJ's just reporting [what I assume to be] the
facts.

His stuff comes from the Moonies (Washington Times), which tells you
how factual it is.

It would actually be handy for women visitors who want to fit in with
this particular version of the Muslim dress code to know when these
times are, and it would it be entirely on-topic for the group to give
such information, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for PJ to do
it.

I suspect his depiction how these women dress when swimming unobserved
by men are entirely the product of some sort of kinky fantasy. Some
actual facts about this sort of policy: Glasgow Council used to run a
pool in Govanhill, a substantially Pakistani area. They had a few
women-only swimming times during the week which local Muslim women went
to. In 2001 they closed the baths; probably their intention was to sell
the land to whatever private developer came up with the largest bribe.
Govanhill is an area where people, whatever their race or religion,
mostly have little money and poor health; the baths made a big difference.
What they were offered as an alternative was way too far away for most
users to reach, and for the Muslim women, had the insuperable problem
that you could see into it from all round, it had huge uncurtainable
windows.

More about the campaign to keep the baths open:

http://www.geocities.com/govanhillbaths/history.html
http://www.variant.randomstate.org/21texts/baths.html

If Croydon is doing better, good for them.