Old April 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT

Default Paying in US dollars

"Edward" wrote in message
JohnT wrote:
"Edward" wrote in message
. ..

JohnT wrote:

"speckled hen" wrote in message
egroups.com...

Hi
I am due to go on the sea princess in June leaving Southampton, I have
just received some info on the cruise and I notice when the cruise
ends I will have to settle my account using US dollars, it also states
that if I use UK pounds I will be charged 3% as well as a commision
depending on the exchange rate.

When I went with P&O I just settled with my UK visa card.
I had thought about getting travellers cheques in US dollars and doing
it that way.

Does anyone know a way round these charges?

Get a Nationwide Visa card and pay your account with that. They charge
no commission at all on "foreign" transactions.

JohnT

I just checked the website, and Nationwide now charges 3%, or maybe I
missed something?

All I can find on their website is the Comic Relief card, but all the
cards are the same re Foreign charges. Look at
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditca...re-details.htm and
nil commission is stated near the end. I use my Nationwide card regularly
and I get an exteremely good rate when being charged in US $.

JohnT

http://www.nationwidebank.com/credit...A05F1D70530 E

It may even be a different company, or maybe the difference between U.S
and UK.

You are referring to a Bank in the USA. My reference was to a UK Building
Society. The OP appears to live in the UK.

JohnT