Old April 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Ray L. Nutz

George no matter wee they dock in New York or New Jersey they still are on a
pier managed by Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.
And whatever money spend on rebuilding piers in Brooklyn or New Jersey is
still PAofNY & NJ money.

Jaap

"George Leppla" wrote

That's a shame. Part of the wonder of cruising to or from NYC is that
trip
past the Statue of Liberty and up the Hudson to midtown. I still remember
the first time. Many of the crew gathered on the bow and were as
overwhelmed
as we were.

The "shame" lies in the fact that for years and years, New York City
refused to spend any money to provide cruise passengers with proper
facilities. I have been in many ports and in my opinion, the cruise ship
terminals in New York were the worst managed permanent facilities I have
ever seen.

Royal Caribbean had the right idea by moving to New Jersey. Carnival Corp
is heading to Brooklyn and that may be an improvement depending on how
they develop the terminal, parking and access. I have visions of Red Hook
becoming just another traffic jam.

With much fewer sailings out of Manhattan, maybe the Port Authority will
finally be able to handle what little they have left.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/