Old July 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

Default Baltic Sea Cruise

"Sandy" wrote in message
Thanks guys so much for all your suggestions about tours. We have already
booked one with the cruise line but thanks to your suggestions, we will
use one of those suggested for the other two days.

Now another thing, in reading the information about the ports we will be
visiting, only one accepts dollars That being St. Petersburg. the others
either use Euros or local currency.
My question is where would be the best place to exchange dollars for
either Euros or local currency. I have been told that the ships do not
give you a good rate of exchange. I wonder should we do it at the airport
where we first. start the cruise? Would they have the other kinds of
currency for the other countries? Should we try to buy the Euros at a
local bank over here before we leave?
Thanks again for all your help.
Sandy

Ships do not give you a good rate. Many don't carry lesser local
currencies, but usually those locations accept dollars. Best is to use your
credit cards for foreign purchases. Check to see if your card company
charges a foreign conversion fee first. Some places airport currency
exchanges are good, others not. Buying currency at your bank should be OK,
but some charge fees for obtaining the currency if they don't routinely
carry it. We have always been able to use dollars even in Euro countries.
The vendors don't give you a good exchange rate, but for small purchases,
who cares. Just be aware of the official exchange rate which you can check
here- http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;to=EUR;amt=1