Old February 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carole Allen[_1_]

Default Amalfi Coast region

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:56:32 -0800, poldy wrote:

In article ,
(Carole Allen) wrote:

Just up the hill from Sorrento (about an easy 10 min walk from town)
is the Hotel Desiree...very nice, on the cliff, views of the water.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Tripadvisor still shows
positive reviews since my last trip there.

I'd only been looking at the hotels on Venere's Centro Storico section,
with the assumption that all the transport hubs were all there, the SITA
bus to Positano, Amalfi, the Circumvesuviana, the ferries and hydrofoils.

I'll check it out though.

It is a short pleasant walk. I had a bag that converted to a back
pack on my last trip (no roller bag), and had no trouble walking up
the hill to the hotel with it, and I was in my late 50s at the time.

There is a local bus you can take down the coast to Amalfi as a day
trip. I wouldn't try the drive - you'll miss all the scenery!
Sorrento is a good base for Naples, Pompeii, etc.

Do you mean the SITA? That's what I planned on. I considered the drive
for a second. Then saw videos and accounts about blind turns with
narrow roads where only one car could pass at a time.

Yes, the SITA. IIRC correctly we actually caught it at the top of the
hill right near the hotel.