Old February 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

Default Amalfi Coast region

martin just had to butt into this one !
A normal thread up to now...

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 04:01:14 -0800 (PST), Surreyman

wrote:

On 14 Feb, 05:03, poldy wrote:
In article ,
(Poetic Justice) wrote:

You might consider doing this for your Pompeii visit;

Go tohttp://tinyurl.com/dloxoqand under 'Eventi a Pompei' there are 5
limited access sites that you can reserve tickets for at Pompeii.

The site is in Italian but I have managed to book tickets there (I
don't read Italian) a few times.

Google the Italian names of the sites and it will also bring up pages
in English with info on those sites and then just choose which site
interests you.

I give directions and info on this post which might be helpful with
the
train, Circumvesuviana, historical sites, museum, etc in that area
(Naples-Pompeii).
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665492

Are the limited-access areas worth it for a first-time visitor? Or does
it make more sense to go to the more well-known areas?

Yes I was planning to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Hopefully not too tricky to find the correct train (looks like some go
to Salerno or is that the regular train?) or the correct stop at the
station in Sorrento.- Hide quoted text -

Knowing this area I'm rather black & white on the issues.
Capri would be a terrible centre. Apart from the logistics of getting
to the mainland and back each time, I usually advise even first-timers
not to bother with even a day visit.

Especially if like me the last ferry of the day to the mainland is the one
you
just arrived on.

Of course it has 'prettiness',
but none approaching other nearby mainland scenery, and it has become
a tourist-ridden monstrosity.

I would always advise central Sorrento as a centre for the entire
area. Very good hotels there and far more interesting in the evenings
that being stuck out in some outlying hotel.

One of the hotels on the top of the cliffs rather than inland.
--

Martin