Old February 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Default The mystery of Ireland's worst driver

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:28:17 +0000, Alan S wrote
(in article ):

I found Greece quite OK, once I got used to the single lane
tollways using the wide shoulders as "move over when the guy
behind wants to scream past" lanes.

It was a bit disconcerting at times when meeting oncoming
traffic two abreast in a single lane at over 1300km/hr.

The longest stretch of road like that, that I remember on the mainland is the
so-called motorway along the north coast of the Peloponnese from Patras to
Corinth which I've driven along once. I don't remember it being as dangerous
as you describe though - just a few biggish trucks from time to time which
usually pulled over accomodatingly to let me overtake.

I imagine it depends on what day of the week and time you do it though. I
understand that Athenians like to build week-end houses along that part of
the coast and presumably tear out from Athens on a Friday afternoon and back
again on Monday morning!

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire