Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Film really is dead, especially for travel

William wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:08:07 +0530:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:40:05 +0530, "William Black"
wrote:

Process your own film for pennies, then buy a 35mm film
scanner for about £50 ($75, this week)

Have you found one at that price that does a good job? If so which
one?

Nope.

I have a friendly professional photographer...

My Canon scanner has a film adapter that actually does quite a good job
but it's a bit slow. It can handle negatives and slides. I wonder what
would be considered a suitable resolution to compare with wet methods?
My scanner does 2400 dpi and has made quite acceptable 8x10s from
negatives since that's equivalent to about 300 dpi on the print but I
wouldn't care to do much cropping.The salesman could not tell me the
resolution of cheaper film scanners like the one Brookestone sells for
USD 100.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland