Old July 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

Default Paying Extra For Being Fat

"Linda E Domoty" wrote in message
I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it being extra large is not a
protected right under Federal Civil Rights laws in the USA.
IMHO if you overflow into my space on a plane then maybe one of us should
pay for two seats of space. What gives a large person right to the space
I paid for. If you need my space then pay for it.

What discussions like this always seem to ignore is
the fact that the airlines are NOT out to enforce anyone's
idea of what their "rights" are or what is "just" via their
pricing schemes. The bottom line is that they are always,
always going to try to set up their pricing to maximize
revenues/profits, just like any business. People can whine
all they want about what others "should" pay for, but it will
have exactly zero impact until and unless the business in question
- in this case, the airline industry - comes to believe that the
proposed change will have a net positive impact on their
bottom line. Which, you know, is exactly how it's supposed
to be.

Bob M.