Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default CyberFlying???

mag3 writes:

I'm not saying anyone did, but given what I've read recently in people being
thrown off of flights for far less severe infractions, and what with newfound "IED
awareness," it would seem something both crew and pax. would take a lot more
seriously.

You don't need to hold an IED up and point it out the window in order to
detonate it. In fact, making it obvious in that way would not be a good idea.

But I am a little disappointed, both from a
security standpoint, and also, one of "fairness." As silly as the regulation may be
(and I agree it is), it's still a reg, and must be obeyed by all.

The FAA itself has encouraged airlines to ignore this regulation in many
circumstances.

General Safety, for one... Not that cameras/camcorders would be a huge deal, but
other devices and gear (ie. laptops etc.), should not be allowed below 10,00ft, in
order to maintain emergency egress for all and the paths clear (at a time when the
probability for an emergency egress is greatest).

A hand-held video camera isn't going to stop evacuation; even a laptop will be
quickly trampled upon.

I wouldn't be real happy if someone
is futzing around with their laptop (or other devices) and blocking my exit when the
"evacuate" order is given.

Then you push them out of the way.