Old April 27th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Olivers

Default "Airlines" on A&E

Bill Burk muttered....

Did anyone see the documentary on "Airlines" on the Arts &
Entertainment

Network just now?

This is a weekly series on Southwest Airlines and while I missed
tonight's show, and have never flown SA before . . . after watching
too many weeks of this series, I would never choose to fly SA ... and
I have stopped my recommendations to our Airport Commission (of which
I am a former member) that SA be added to the Memphis hub !!

I'm sure Liddle Rawk, its cash register ringing with the shekels of
Memphisians coming over to emplane/deplane on WN appreciate your candor.

Laughably, since Memphis has traditionally had higher fares than many
comparable markets (matched with flight frequency in keeping with the "We
know it's there but don't need to go...." perspective with which most
travelers view Memphis), the regular queue of folks driving, vanning,
rental carring, etc. across the blasted wastes from West Memphis to Liddle
Rawk to catch WN (Southwest's airline identifier, not SA or SWA) is pretty
long.

I don't fly WN often, but on those moments when price and convenience
coincide, I've always been impressed by their staff
training/indoctrination/brainwashing which makes them consistently (if not
uniquely) more pleasant and (within the narrow limits of their business
plan) accommodating. Sure, I like to pick my own seats days ahead, but
when the flight's no more than a couple of hours, and WN can put me in a
city otherwise difficult or more expensive to access, it's no different
than a long ride in an airport shuttle.

TMO