Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

Default ID at check-in

"Marsha" wrote in message ...
Patrick Hernan wrote:
I stayed at a major hotel in Las Vegas recently. At check-in they wanted
a credit card and picture ID. I gave them a credit card and my driver's
license as an ID. Before I knew it she entered my driver's license number
into the hotel computer. This has never happened to me before. When I
objected she said "everybody does it now" but that is certainly not my
experience. This really seems like an invasion of privacy in the time of
identity theft. I can only imagine how many employees have access to that
computer. Even when I travel abroad hotel clerks usually don't take down
my passport number. As an American traveling in America this seems
outrageous. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've stayed in probably 12 different hotels in the last year, some as
recently as two weeks ago, and not a single one of them asked for picture
ID. I would have refused to give it to them anyway. If they insisted, I
would have held onto it while they looked at it, but never would have
given it to them.

Be thankful for the ones that ask for picture ID with a CC. It helps to
weed out some of the stolen cards.

As far as taking the numbers, I've never had that happen.