Old October 18th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Miss L. Toe

Default fastest and most convenient way from London Heathrow to Gatwick

"Lil" wrote in message
om...
I just bought some tickets, and when I checked for the change in plane
in London, I forgot to check whether the change in plane takes place
at the same airport.

Now that I've bought the tickets, and found that I arrive at Heathrow
and must depart at Gatwick, how do I get us (me and Mom) over from
Heathrow to Gatwick?

More details: the plane is supposed to arrive at Heathrow a little
before 11 a.m. GMT, and is supposed to depart Gatwick at 1:45 p.m.
GMT.

This raises issues like, how long will it take to clear customs
post-9/11 and Richard Reid (the Shoe Bomber)?

Assuming we clear customs quickly, what is the fastest and most
convenient way to get to Gatwick and somehow manage to grab some
lunch? Is there a shuttle between airports? Will we have to cab it?
Whatever ideas come to mind, please do not forget to include
approximate cost for the transport.

Thanks in advance.

Lil

It will take about an hour to clear customs, immigration and baggage, then a
bus to gatwick will take 1:15 minimum plus queueing time - maybe 20 minutes,
and cost 17GBP with speedlink, the national express coach although cheaper
is more difficult to find, a taxi may make the journey in about an hour and
will cost something like 60 GBP if pre booked.

Its going to be a VERY tight connection, but planes from the USA often land
early if the wind is in the right direction.

A pre-booked taxi is the only sensible way to attempt this, but do try and
change the second leg to a later flight.

I would get lunch after checking in and clearing security at Gatwick.