Old October 27th, 2008, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ablang

Default So what ABOUT those fuel surcharges?

Good News: Oil is dropping like a stone. Not So Good News: U.S.
airlines aren't dropping their fuel surcharges much at all, beyond
some cuts on international routes. And here's why: the airlines
don't have to drop fuel surcharges -- not as long as they can find
passengers willing to pay for them, and so far they have found such
passengers -- the business travelers. They pay the brunt of it, and
until these Road Warriors start to significantly reduce their travel,
the surcharges will remain. One thing you can do to avoid fuel
surcharges: buy your tickets at least 14 days before departure and
you'll avoid many of the surcharges aimed at business travelers.
Meanwhile, Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey asked airline execs to
lower surcharges in the U.S., saying "American families are
struggling" but not much has changed. Something else you can do:
follow FareCompare's "Fuel Surcharge Watch" Chart for the latest
developments, and definitely look out for the fees you can avoid --
which you'll find on FareCompare's Domestic Airline Fee Chart --
remember, bring your own food, pack a pillow, and always use a carry-
on bag. FareCompare.com CEO Rick Seaney adds, "My biggest all-around
money saving tip is, always head to FareCompare.com before you fly --
we can show you how to stretch your budget by finding the cheapest
airfare available. And don't forget, I've got tons of money--saving
tips on my blog -- the aptly named RickSeaney.com." Thanks, Rick