Old June 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Bobbie Weeks (Ms)

Default Plug converter and voltage - Australia to Asia

I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V