Old June 18th, 2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

Default Plug converter and voltage - Australia to Asia

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:12:39 -0700 (PDT), "Bobbie Weeks
(Ms)" wrote:

I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V
Vietnam, Plug Type A & C & G, 220V

I travelled through Cambodia and Thailand in March (see the
blog). I had no problems charging my phone, shaver and
camera. However, all of those were charged via their own
AC/DC converters which automatically allow for frequency
variations and even 115/230 variations.

It's likely your laptop and phone will be similar and the
hairdryer is unlikely to be that sensitive.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com