Old June 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

Default Plug converter and voltage - Australia to Asia

"Bobbie Weeks (Ms)" wrote:
I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V
Vietnam, Plug Type A & C & G, 220V

No problems with voltage.

Also, you can get cheaper and better converters after you arrive than
you can find in Australia. I heartily recommend getting the small
individual converters with no moving parts, rather than the giant
one-size-fits-all gimmicky ones that always fall apart and start
sparking a few weeks into your trip.

--
Photos from all 45 countries on 5 continents:
http://www.cultureshocktherapy.com