Old August 18th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Roger Martin

"Alessandro Cannarsi" wrote in message
m...
Hi everybody,

I'm off on a 20 days trip to Australia in October. I am going to spend
3 days in Sydney and I am trying to plan a 2-week itinerary.

What I was thinking about is: flying from Sydney to Alice Springs, see
Uluru, visit the Kakadu National Park and/or the Northern Peninsula
(Cape York) and spend some days diving in the northern part of the
reef.

Uluru is the best part of a day's drive from Alice Springs, you can fly
direct
to Uluru.

Kakadu is worth the effort to get there.

Cape York is not for novice drivers in Outback Australia, I'd suggest
you look at spending more time in Kakadu. You need a serious 4x4
with all the trimmings for living without a lot of other support - fuel,
water,
spares, camping equipment.

Since the distances are huge I must choose what segments to drive and
what segments to fly based on the experience I will get -

Do you think Kakadu is more interesting than cape york or the
opposite?

Would you suggest to drive from Sydney to Alice and fly from there to
Darwin-Kakadu or viceversa? Is the panorama from Alice to Kakadu
interesting?

Sydney to Alice Springs is a loooooong drive - at least 4 days to do
it safely.

Or would you suggest driving from Alice to Cairns and the great
barrier?

Thats another long drive, allow 3 to 4 days at least, but Kakadu is
on the way.

Thanks

Alessandro