Old August 19th, 2004, 01:41 AM
SteveS

Because of the distances and in some cases the road/weather conditions - fly
where you can and keep driving to the minimum.

SteveS

"Alan" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2004 14:10:27 -0700, (Alessandro
Cannarsi) wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm off on a 20 days trip to Australia in October. I am going to spend
3 days in Sydney and I am trying to plan a 2-week itinerary.

What I was thinking about is: flying from Sydney to Alice Springs, see
Uluru, visit the Kakadu National Park and/or the Northern Peninsula
(Cape York) and spend some days diving in the northern part of the
reef.

Since the distances are huge I must choose what segments to drive and
what segments to fly based on the experience I will get -

Do you think Kakadu is more interesting than cape york or the
opposite?

Would you suggest to drive from Sydney to Alice and fly from there to
Darwin-Kakadu or viceversa? Is the panorama from Alice to Kakadu
interesting?

Or would you suggest driving from Alice to Cairns and the great
barrier?

Thanks

Alessandro

In broad terms, spend a little more time around Sydney (Blue Mountains,
Broken bay etc) and a little less up north.

For the localities you've selected - fly everywhere and take bus, rail
or ferry trips locally. You have not really got a concept of the
distances and conditions involved in driving Sydney-Alice-Uluru, or
Alice-Cairns (now that would be an interesting drive, but not over a
week or two).

The only place I'd rent a car would be Cairns, to wander around the
north. Take day trips at each stop - Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury from
Sydney, Barossa Valley from Adelaide, Uluru from Alice etc.

Just a rough itinerary to play with over 20 days:
1 Sydney
2
3
4