Old September 16th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Jason

Default Travel-route suggestions for Australia?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:27:35 +0000, Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

And suggestions for a travel route.. I realize that I've left out all of
western Australia, where I intended to start my trip in Perth. But
someone told me that Perth is so far from everything else that I'll
spend ages going through the outback, not being worth it as I can see so
much more at those other places mentioned here. Opinions?

When I did my first trip, I took 3 months to do the circle from Sydney -
Melbourne - Adelaide - Alice - Darwin - Cairns and then east coast down
back to Sydney. You could do this in 2.5 months. I think 2 months would be
a bit rushed.

If you can get internal flights, the bit I would definitely fly would be
from Darwin to Cairns. It's a long way. And there's not a whole lot to
see. I did it once on a bus. It took 32.5 hours. It's not an experience
I'd wish to repeat.

As for Perth, well if you can fly in there, spend a week and then fly onto
somewhere else, it might be worth doing. I certainly wouldn't go north of
Perth on your first trip. Again there isn't an awful lot there other than
the tourist trap of Monkey Mia apart from some nice diving on the Ningaloo
reef.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Aussie diving reports including
the Coral Sea, Ningaloo reef, the Solitaries and Byron Bay