Old December 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Default room service on Princess Cruises - fee, or not?

On 12/11/2010 6:50 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
Greetings! My wife and I went out to a nice supper and movie last night,
followed by a couple of episodes of "The Love Boat" when we got home (1
episode had my wife's favorite - Charro - to her delight) Man, that
brings back memories - I used to watch this show as a kid, along with
Fantasy Island sometimes. The show holds up particularly well, with a
fantastic guest list, good writing, and a theme song that makes me want
to look up the singer to see if he has any CD's available.

Anyway..... it got us thinking about our upcoming week long cruise on
the Caribbean Princess. (now just 28 days away!)

I come from a pretty frugal family, so I was wondering what might be
included on the cruise that I would normally shun? For example, I
thought I read somewhere that room service is included, but I find
rather vague info online when I try to get more details:

"If you order room service, there might be a fee during some hours on
some ships, and the menu is often limited, and all of that will be
outlined in the information folder in your cabin. Also, if you order
room service, please hand a cash tip to the person who brings the food
to you! The custom is $2 for the first person having food delivered, and
an extra $1 or $2 for each additional person getting room service."

I think I would be really tempted to enjoy room service for the first
time in my life, if I knew for certain that there was no fee involved,
other than the tip. Can any of you who have actually been on the
Caribbean Princess shed any light on this for me please? Danke!

There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward. The room service menu is
limited, but mostly free and the extra fee items will be marked with the
price. It is customary to tip the person deliverying your food, not a
lot but base it on how much you order. If you order just coffee I would
give $1 or $2, a full breakfast a little bit more. This is truely a tip
and you can give what you want.

Enjoy your cruise!

sue