Old October 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

Default ID at check-in

In message "Jim Davis"
was claimed to have wrote:

Sorry, this is my fault for this misunderstanding. I didn't offer enough
information. My situation is different from most, and I just consider it a
way of life on the road.

I travel with special tools and some very expensive test equipment. Customs
in any country is usually 2 stops for me. They're usually thoroughly
inspected, and in some countries, I need special work permits. The permits
are turned in on exit, and my passport is checked at that time.

Ahh, that would do it.

Without some sort of special circumstances (work permit probably
counts), you don't normally need to talk to any gov't employee beyond
airport security to leave Canada or the US.