Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Lydia Binn

Default My Noise Complaint With Carnival (Liberty)

In message , Richard Greene
writes
As some of you know, my last cruise with Carnival was a cruise from hell.
Our cabin was located just below the Lido Deck right under the wooden deck
portion where people sit on chairs at tables with metal legs. The dragging
of this furniture actually vibrated the walls of our cabin and the noise
didn't stop until around 2 a.m.. But then started back up around 6 when the
breakfast buffet opened.

Well, a month later (today), she called to tell me that Carnival
acknowledged my complaint and is offering (get this), 10% discount on
another cruise with them AND wow, a $85.60 on board credit.

Personally, I would have told them where to stick a lousy 10% off of
another cruise with them. It's not costing them anything and I would
expect to get far more than 10% off by going through an agent.

I should point out that I'm in the UK where consumer law appears to be
far more effective and easier to enforce, at least that's my opinion
gleaned from my many visits to the US.

My last claim against a cruise line resulted in a 25% refund and 50% off
of another cruise with the line. The reason? having to suffer noise from
the stewards' storeroom and room service pantry opposite our cabin. We
could not be moved but the noise became bearable after a week of
complaining.

The cruise line gave up arguing when I sent them video/audio evidence on
a DVD and threatened to take them to court.

I don't know what you can do in the US to get better compensation but. I
would try harder.

I always make polite but insistent claims for compensation if I feel it
necessary although, with more than 40 years of travel and cruising
behind me, I have only had to claim compensation 5 times.
--
Lydia