Old August 31st, 2004, 07:27 AM
Dave Proctor

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:41:52 +1200, Ian Hutchby
wrote:

As far as the law goes you can drive on a foreign licence here in NZ for
up to a year (by which time you are required to get an NZ drivers licence)

As for hire companies I never had a problem in the past just presenting
my UK licence (in fact when I did have an IDL (IDP?? it's a Permit not
Licence from memory) they asked for my UK licence and ignored the IDL)

That is because the International Driving Permit is nothing more than
a translation of what appears on the actual licence, it is not an
authority to drive a motor vehicle in and of itself.

Since a UK DL would already be in English, there is no need to have
the IDP.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/