Old June 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

Default Flight promotion: best period to buy a ticket for a flight in December from the UK to Australia?

If you are prepared to travel on Christmas Day itself, you can often get a
cheaper price as most people don't want to travel on that day.

As to the movement of prices with time, I think it's a case of your guess is
as good as anyone's. If early sales of tickets are strong, the airlines will
figure that there is no problem selling the seats and the prices will rise.
If the early sales of tickets are weak, the airlines will figure they are
flying empty and discounts will appear. Normally December is a busy time and
tickets are not cheap, but OTOH we have the global financial crisis to
weaken demand. So I'm not sure that anyone has a crystal ball to answer your
question (and if anyone does, can you please advise us all on movements in
currencies, interest rates and the stock market as well as the price of
plane tickets).

Kerry