Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers

Default Airlines cramming more seats into Dreamliner than Boeing expected

Mark C. wrote:
"beavis" wrote in message ...

In article , Doug McDonald
wrote:

Americans,as a rule, won't pay
more for a plusher seat or better food.

Sure we will ... we just won't pay as much as they ask.

I wish that were true, but it isn't. Look back at American Airlines'
"More Room Throughout Coach" program, which increased the seat pitch
for more legroom. Coach fares went up just a few dollars, and
customers flocked to other airlines.

American lost *millions* betting that people would pay for a little bit
of comfort. But they won't. They go to Travelocity, sort by "Price,"
and pick the top choice, even if it means a three-legger on regional
jets, with a 5-hour layour in Cleveland. Just to save $10.

I wish it weren't the case, but it is.

So the obvious answer is to make it federal law that airplane
seats on all new commercial aircraft are a minimum of 20"
across. And if people can't afford the higher fares, let them
take a bus or train.

If 1" makes the difference between solvency and insolvency
for an airline they shouldn't be in business in the first place.

Go amtrack