Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Walt Bilofsky

Default Advice on Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen & Edinburgh

(David Horne) wrote:

Walt Bilofsky wrote:

Take the train to Stirling (from Edinburgh or Glasgow) for a day
instead. Good mix of real town and tourist attractions as you walk up
the hill to the castle - which is a work in progress with many really
fine restorations and exhibits already done.

When were you at the Castle? I'm asking, because I haven't been there
for a while, but I thought the renovations were coming along a pace. My
parents live in a town about 9 miles to the east, and as they're on a
hill, get a good view of Stirling. Now that the banqueting hall has been
cleaned, it really shines out, even from that distance!

David

We were there two weeks ago. Yes, there is a tremendous lot done, and
as I said, some really fine exhibits. A couple of people told us not
to go as it was only partially restored, but that was really bad
advice and I am glad we ignored it.

The Great Hall and the chapel are impressive, though not filled up
yet. There's a very fun restoration of the kitchens, with plaster
servants and food and even a looseleaf recipe book on a table
(probably not a replica of an original). Weavers can be seen
recreating the Hunt of the Unicorn tapestries (the originals are in
the Cloisters in New York, two miles from where I grew up), with one
complete and a second just begun. The visitor's center has one of the
best films introducing a historic site that I've ever seen. The
guides were full of interesting bits of information and enthusiasm.

And the salmon colored Great Hall - with the guide's explanation of
how they decided that was the authentic color - has forever changed my
mental image of castles.

One of the best sites (sights) of our trip to Scotland. And the rest
of the town is delightful too.

- Walt