Old January 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
RAK

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a piece of I want to use for a trip in a week or so. I used this
bag one time and apparently snow/rocks got lodged and both wheels wore
down unevenly. I went to a luggage store and they said it wasn't
covered under warranty and it would be $60 plus an expedite fee to get
it in less than 2 weeks (even though they repair them onsite). I
thought for 2 $3 wheels, that was excessive. I took apart the bag (it
has screw construction- it is a Dakota MTX). My question is how do you
get the wheels off? They look like they are riveted, but it is hard to
tell. It could be some other kind of fastener.

This does not help you, but I twice wore out the wheels on a Samsonite bag
and they were replaced free. I just had to call a Samsonite freephone number
(in the UK in my case), tell them the model number, and they posted out
replacements free of charge - the whole assembly, not just the wheels.

There were no questions about warranties, etc. The bag was about 5 years old
first time it happened, maybe 8 years old second time. The rest of the very
strong bag finally died this year, after about 10 years and hundreds of
flights and many other trips.

$60 for simple spares sounds like a "don't buy this brand" warning.