Old November 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Donald Newcomb

Default Notebooks in flight

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Why exactly are you not allowed to use a notebook computer during take-
off and landing? The radio power emitted by a notebook should be too
weak to cause any problems to the plane electronics.

I think the appropriate answer is, "Because the flight crew tell you not
to." I was once on a military flight where a high-ranking military officer
insisted on standing during the take off and landing. No one was going to
tell a "three star" to sit down but I think it would have been funny if the
plane had blown a tire and thrown him through the window. When a plane is
taking off or landing you are supposed to be strapped in with your tray
table and seat back up and not messing with anything that could cause injury
if "stuff" happened. It would be just my luck to be sitting in front of or
behind Alfred when the plane took a bounce and have his laptop ricochet off
the overhead and come down on top of me.

Also, while a *properly functioning* laptop might not cause any problems
with the plane's electronics, you should not attempt to assert that an
improperly functioning one would never do so. During take-off and landing
there is no time to look for and isolate the source of a problem. It's best
to be safe. I'm just glad they let us use them at all.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal.net