Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom M.

Default Norwegian Dawn Dec. 13-20

To All,

My wife and I sailed on the Norwegian Dawn Dec. 13 to Dec. 20. I came
away with less that a favorable impression. The first day we dined at Le
Bistro. The food was good but if you wanted lobster, there was a charge
above and beyond the normal charge.

When we returned to our suite we assumed we would find our last piece of
checked luggage. Instead I found a nasty letter from the luggage police.
I proceeded to the room where they were holding my luggage hostage. When
I walked in I was asked which piece of luggage was mine. I pointed to it
and was instructed to put it on the table, open it, and step back.

The cop saw plastic beer bottles in my luggage and said "here's the
problem, you cannot bring beer on board". I responded with "those
bottles are filled with wine, my wife does not want glass bottles in our
checked luggage". He then said "I will have to charge you a $15 corking
fee". I paid it and sprung my bag. I found out later that NCL charges
$15 for each bottle of wine you bring on board, whether you consume it
in you stateroom or at dinner.

We are Royal Caribbean cruisers and have bought wine at ports of call
and brought it back to our stateroom without a hassle.

Other things that soured us is:

If we ran out of ice in the afternoon, we had to fetch our own.

If you bought liquor at the port, both lines will confiscate it. RCL
would bring it to your room on the last day of the cruise. Usually
around noon. NCL holds your liquor until 9 PM on the last day and you
have to go get it yourself.

RCL delivers luggage tags on the last day. NCL forces you to go down to
the desk for your tags.

RCL excursion desk is staffed all day, NCL 6-9 PM.

The toilet in our room did not work until 11 PM the first day and broke
again 2 days later.

Our knowledge of RCL is a year old. If any of you have been on a RCL
cruise and the above recollections have changed, please respond to this
post.

Thanks in advance,

Tom M.