Old November 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Ariadne

Default A-Z of English words with surprising origins

Dick Adams wrote:
Ariadne wrote:
Part of what makes English such a beautiful language.

As beautiful as English is, what makes it most amazing
is that every English speaking nation has a different
dialect and some have many dialects.

Once on a train to London, I was in a conversation with
two men from the far north of Scotland, a Cockney, an
Irishman, and an Englishman from Newcastle. *I kept
turning to the Englishman and asking "What did he say?"

It's several nations separated by a common language.

Dick

I'm very pleased that "Estuary" hasn't taken
over. But dialect words are certainly being
lost.