Old January 9th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Malcom Davis

Default Air France lost luggage - what to do?

Flying direct from Paris to Boston last weekend, Air France
lost our luggage. We filed a claim with the luggage desk
when it didn't show. Judging by the people doing the same, a
lot of luggage was lost on this flight. We were given a
tracking number. Since then we have been getting the
runaround. Entering the tracking number into their web
tracking system reveals absolutely nothing "tracing
continues, please try again later."

The airline claimed that the luggage was sent on Monday's
flight and would be delivered that evening. Monday came and
went. Many calls to the AF luggage line 1-800-873-BAGS, but
no help. On Tuesday they promised it would be delivered
via a courier, but refused to say what the courier's phone #
is. Lady on the AF luggage line almost yelled, saying that
they had a lot of bags to deliver, etc etc. why are you
asking about yours?

On Wednesday, a rep on the AF lost luggage line did give a
number for the local courier they use. Calling the courier,
they said that they had a manifest with our luggage and it
would be delivered Wed evening, possibly as late as
midnight. Wednesday night came and went.

Now the courier says that apparently they never did have
this luggage. The spent Thursday searching for it, but are
certain they don't have it, and apparently never did. Air
France rep insists that they had it in Boston and gave it to
the courier, but isn't very convincing. We're getting the
runaround, but it's clear we don't have our luggage.

What to do? Is there anything we can do to escalate this at
Air France? Even if the courier did
have the luggage (probably not) we did business with AF and
want them to fix this. Unfortunately our only contact there
is at their lost luggage line which goes to a Florida
office, and apparently they can't do anything for us to
return our personal effects. Does anyone have any tips or
handling this situation? Help!