Old August 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TMOliver

Default Airside connection at DFW (LX/AA)

"mrtravel" wrote ...
wrote:

If this questions has been asked before, I cannot find it, so
apologies/thanks in advance if you can simply point me to the right
thread.
We intend to fly GVA-ZRH-DFW-YVR (Geneva-Zurich-Dallas-Vancouver) and
back (symmetrical route).
I have already checked on the DFW website about transfers and it
states that "The Skylink high-speed train, inside security, connects
all five terminals with an average ride time of less than 5 minutes",
but the website does not make it clear whether one needs to cross US
immiegration to make an international transfer.
http://www.dfwairport.com/transport/connect.html
Does "inside security" mean when we step of the LX (Swiss) flight in
DFW that we will not have to clear US immigration to travel through to
Canada with AA?

You will have to clear immigration and customs in the US.
You will have to go back through security before boarding your connecting
flight.

The advantage to DFW as a connection point is that, unlike many airports and
terminals, DFW has a large number of security entrances and short lines.
You have two choices, re-entering security at the "D" Terminal at which
you'll arrive, the only choice if your connecting flight departs from D, or
if your flight is from another terminal, boarding the convenient "Skylink",
or exiting D to take one of AA's Terminal Link busses, service every five
minutes, to the departure terminal, passing security there on your way into
the terminal.

My choice would be in any case to re-enter security at D, based on the
likelihood that you'll be trundling substantial baggage Harder to manage on
the bus than on Skylink)...

All that's subject to a caveat....whether or not your baggage will have been
checked all the way through to YVR, unloaded fro you to take thru Customs,
and then sent on to your new flight without you having to lug it. If so,
please don't lock it, for TSA will have the right to search it at DFW. I
suspect that routinely, all international arrivals debouch into the
unsecured area of Terminal D, likely necessitated by TSA's mandate to
inspect carryons. Check this and other forums for the mandatory liquids &
gels policy for toiletries, etc., a separate (in hand - One only) one
quart/liter clear plastic bag and the 3.5 oz. max contents weight for any
container

TMO