Old August 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

Default Specialty Restaurants on ships

George Leppla wrote:
I am hijacking this subject from another thread...

"Diana Ball" wrote

And the specialty restaurant
(best food we've had on the seas) succeeded in evoking a big city supper
club of another era.

Which leads to some questions...

What do you think about "specialty restaurants" on ships?

If you go to these restaurants, what was your favorite meal?

On my very first cruise, aboard the NCL Leeward, we ate in Le Bistro.
I remember it being a very nice meal. As this was our first cruise, we
had nothing in which to compare our onboard dining experience - it was
all great, because it was new and different. And, at that time, NCL
was still traditional dining. The only thing I specifically remember,
food-wise, from that cruise, were the great homemade cookies that they
put out every afternoon...trays of them...and they were great.

Following that first cruise were cruises on RCI, Princess and HAL. The
company in the dining room for those cruises was so great, that the
food quality, presentation and taste became of secondary importance to
us. We looked forward to our meals in the main dining room, just for
the fun. I believe there was a specialty steakhouse option on Sea
Princess at that time, but I'm not sure the others even had an
alternative dining venue, other than the buffet restaurant.

On two subsequent HAL cruises, I've dined in their Odyssey restaurant,
and I've had great meals. But, I'm not sure I'd spend the extra money
again...I was traveling with different people on each of those
cruises, so the second Odyssey meal was so that my co-cruiser could
also experience the meal.

My last cruise was on the Miracle...and I enthusiastically agree with
Diana B. The specialty steak house on board that ship is top notch
dining. And, the venue, itself, is beautiful. We had a great meal
there - I'd highly recommend the splurge to all Miracle passengers.

I guess, if the cruise lines did away with the specialty restaurants,
I wouldn't miss them. But, while they're there, I'll probably continue
to treat myself to one meal during the cruise.

Lee