Old September 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

Default No laser pointers through security?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:39:52 +0100, AES wrote:

To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?

If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.