Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Using electronic devices during take-off and landing (was:CyberFlying???)

mag3 wrote:

... but given what I've read recently in people being thrown
off of flights for far less severe infractions,

Yea, like wearing baggy pants, or appearing too muslim or arab looking

and what with newfound "IED awareness," it would seem something
both crew and pax. would take a lot more seriously.

If you're sitting quietly in your seat, holding your camera in your lap,
and then turning it on and pointing it out the window - trust me. Other
pax will not give it a second thought.

They did when I was flying.

I've been flying moderately frequently for the past 15 years (but
admittedly far less frequently during the past 3 years). Operating
electronic devices on the QT during take-off and landing is no harder to
do now than it was in 2002 or 1998.

I thought things were actually getting *more* strict.

No. Things are getting less strict.

Remember when there was secondary screening at the gate? When was the
last time you saw that?

The TSA is now setting up inspections at truck stops on the interstate
and bus stations for christ sakes. They're admitting that terrorists
are more likely to be found on the nation's highway system than at the
airports.

But I am a little disappointed, both from a security standpoint
and also, one of "fairness."

I can't help it if you're one of the sheeple that bought into this whole
TSA security theater bull**** thing.

It's done nothing but make flying a friggen pain in the ass.

As silly as the regulation may be (and I agree it is)
it's still a reg, and must be obeyed by all.

I say screw it. Screw the reg's when they conflict with my
constitutional rights.