Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

Default At least 4 jets strand Conn. passengers for hours

In article , Fly Guy wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

But with regard to holding me on a plane for 7 hours against my
will, here we have a corporation (a legal person) interfering
with my liberty.

Say someone takes it to court and the court rules that people have
the unqualified right to leave whenever they want. Now what?

The court will aways factor in "reasonable expectations".

Which would include what would reasonably happen in these
circumstances. You have a relatively small airport that all of a sudden
got ~15-20 extra planes they weren't expecting, during a major snow
storm. IIRC one of the problems was that they had arrived after the
terminal had closed (but I could be wrong on that one).
Even if the terminal was open, how do you get that many planes to
the gates? Where do you all of a sudden "store" all those extra planes
on the field? Even using the airstairs, you need to have a safe place to
deplane the passengers. How do you get them from where ever they
deplaned to shelter? Do you pull people from snow/deicing duty to do all
of this? CAN you under FAA rules actually pull people off of these
tasks.
..

But while parked on the ground, during irregular operations, at a
non-regular airport, that's a whole other ballgame - one for which the
airlines shroud in more mystery than area 51. They are sacrificing my
liberty for the sake of some cost that only they know, a secret cost.

Maybe. Maybe the receiving airport was simply overwhelmed by the sudden
influx. Maybe both.